Students from Kansas State University’s Collegian Media Group brought home 12 national awards from the Associated Collegiate Press/College Media Association convention in Washington, D.C. last week.
But the convention was about more than winning awards. More than 100 instructional sessions filled the program.
“There were so many sessions from professional journalists to choose from that it was easy to find ideas to bring home,” Kaylie McLaughlin, 2019 Collegian editor said, “ but the most beneficial thing for me was talking with students from other campuses about their publications. I have so many ideas to share with the Collegian staff.”
The 2018 Royal Purple yearbook was one of three in the nation to be named a Pacemaker, the highest award given by ACP, which also recognized the 2019 Royal Purple with third place in Best of Show competition.
CMA recognized the Royal Purple with a second place in Yearbook of the Year competition.
The Royal Purple staff also received:
• Second place in Best Yearbook Entertainment Spread — Katie Harbert, Meg Shearer
• Honorable mention in Best Photo Package — Olivia Bergmeier, Alex Todd
• First place in Best Yearbook Entertainment Spread — Ashley Read, Logan Wassall
• Second Place in Best Yearbook Cover — Ashley Read, Alex Todd
• Best Yearbook Sports Spread in the Pinnacle awards — Emily Lenk
• ACP recognized the book with Best Yearbook Cover and Best Yearbook Spread
• ACP recognized Logan Wassall with am honorable mention in Sports Photography
Collegian awards included:
• ACP Honorable mention in Editorial Writing — Rafael Garcia, Kyle Hampel and Olivia Rogers
• ACP Honorable mention in Feature Photography — Alex Todd
The Manhappenin’ Magazine staff was recognized with the Best Magazine Sports Spread.
“Bringing back so many awards just validates what we are doing with the RP,” Ashley Read, 2020 Royal Purple editor said. “It proves we are doing good work and it motivates us to do more to make this year’s book even better for the student body and to win more awards next year.”