Job Opening: Student Web Developer

Collegian Media Group publishes the Royal Purple yearbook, The Collegian newspaper, and the Manhappenin’ Magazine.

All of these publications rely on the student-run IT Support staff to keep all of Collegian Media Group’s IT resources maintained and fully functional. In addition to maintenance, the IT Support staff employs a web developer to build and/or maintain all of Collegian Media Group’s websites.

Position Description

Experience Needs

• Experience with PHP, HTML, CSS, SQL, and JavaScript development.
  • Extensive knowledge and experience with WordPress.
  • Familiarity with Git version control.
  • Extensive experience with GUI-less Linux operating systems, such as Ubuntu Server.
  • Familiarity with virtualization software, such as Docker and/or VirtualBox.
  • Experience with web server software, such as Apache and/or Nginx.
  • Experience with database software, including MySQL, PostgreSQL, and/or MariaDB.
  • Familiarity with writing bash scripts.
  • Must communicate well with peers and management.
  • Experience with macOS. Each IT staff member is given a MacBook Pro Retina laptop to use while employed.
  • Experience with mobile-first development, and experience developing on iOS and Android platforms is preferred.

Job Responsibilities

• Attend Weekly staff meetings led by either the IT Support Director or the IT Support Manager(s).
  • Maintain all written and electronic records. Order equipment, software or tools when needed and approved by IT Support Director.
  • Must have the ability to follow written and verbal instructions and work well under pressure of daily deadlines.
  • Must be enrolled in at least six credit hours in both fall and spring semesters.
  • Hourly pay is dependent on level of skill and experience. Work schedule is very flexible. Set your schedule based on your availability. Offices located on campus in Kedzie Hall.
  • Must be dependable and on time for scheduled hours once set.
  • Ability to be on call for emergency maintenance or troubleshooting.
  • Potential for attending workshops or conventions, either as a participant or leader.

Apply Now