Job Opening: Advertising Adviser

Collegian Media Group seeks an energetic and experienced advertising professional to guide a staff of university students in selling the print and digital products of the Collegian, the morning daily of Manhattan, Kansas, and the campus news source for Kansas State University. Founded in 1896, the Collegian had 2.3 million page views in the year ending May 31. The Collegian Media Group is a non-profit that has been in business since 1946.

The role

As the advertising adviser, you would oversee student staff who sell ads in a student news organization that publishes a web site, an app and a three-times-a-week newspaper, and a new tri-annual lifestyle magazine that was so successful last year that we are increasing its frequency to quarterly. You would lead efforts to market our products on campus, and you would work with the Director of Collegian Media Group to establish annual sales budgets and will be responsible for meeting them.

The adviser monitors the students’ progress, checking in regularly to ensure that office procedures are properly followed. Overall, the adviser acts as a guide, giving feedback and advice when necessary, but is instrumental in setting the sales staff’s goals. This position requires an individual with strong skills in organization, communication and management.

Duties

• Oversee the student advertising sales staff composed of one manager, one assistant manager, several account executives and a tearsheet coordinator
  • Assist student managers in the creation, organization and scheduling of special editions and promotions
  • Motivate the staff to perform to their best abilities by acting as a support system and answering their questions and concerns
  • Perform billing procedures: accounts receivable, finalizing monthly statements and sending delinquent clients to collections
  • Communicate with clients about billing, display advertising or classified advertising questions
  • Keep spreadsheets of sales goals and yearly budget
  • Oversee students on the ad creation team, who work closely with the ad sales team

The advertising adviser works directly with the student ad manager to select a staff, set sales goals, coach the staff, and help train them, and he or she reports to the Director. Compensation will be a base income plus a range of bonuses, and includes a suite of health insurance, a retirement plan and life insurance.

Programs used frequently:
AdPro, AdForce, ClassForce, Word, Excel, Google Analytics and Google DoubleClick for Publishers

Qualifications

Required

• Bachelor’s degree
  • Three years of advertising and digital media experience
  • Two years of managing or training salespeople
  • Thorough understanding of print advertising, digital media sales and product development

Desired

• Familiarity with student media
  • Knowledge of advertising sales on digital, mobile, tablet and apps
  • Experience with the agency model
  • Ad production experience

The company

In addition to the daily newspaper, Collegian Media Group publishes the Royal Purple yearbook, Manhappenin’ directory and hosts the annual Flint Hills Publications Workshop for high school journalists. The business is governed by a board of directors and is not affiliated with Kansas State University.

Applying

Send a cover letter outlining your qualifications and explaining why you are the right person to lead our staff, along with a résumé and contact information for three references, to:

Director
Collegian Media Group
103 Kedzie Hall
Manhattan KS 66506-1505

or by email to: jobs@collegianmedia.com