Job Opening: Assistant Director and Publication Adviser

Collegian Media Group seeks an energetic and experienced student media professional to serve as assistant director and to guide a staff of university students in creating, editing and promoting the Royal Purple, the nation’s most-decorated yearbook, as well as advising the staff of a new lifestyle publication, Manhappenin’ magazine, at Kansas State University.

The role

As the Royal Purple adviser, the successful candidate will oversee the student staff who create, edit and promote the yearbook, lending his or her experience to the editors as a coach and guide. Founded in 1909, the Royal Purple consistently wins national honors for its content.

As the Manhappenin’ adviser, the successful candidate will oversee the student staff who create our new quarterly lifestyle magazine and will help guide the creation of a digital component to this publication.

As the assistant director, the successful candidate will direct the Flint Hills Publications Workshop, a summer high school journalism camp, and help manage a staff of four IT support students, who serve as the support team for Collegian Media Group, the A.Q. Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communications, and the Journalism Education Association.

The ideal candidate will have online publishing and/or journalism skills that she or he can share with the staff of the Collegian, the daily student newspaper. He or she will also share in duties of budgeting and reaching the corporate goals set by the board of directors.

This is a twelve-month job with the potential for flexible work hours. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes a suite of health insurance, dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement fund, and life insurance.

The company

In addition to the Royal Purple and Manhappenin’, Collegian Media Group publishes the Collegian, a daily newspaper, and hosts the annual Flint Hills Publications Workshop. The Collegian is the state’s ninth-largest morning newspaper, and was founded in 1896. The business was incorporated as a 501(c)3 in 1946 and received non-profit status the following year. It is governed by a board of directors and is independent of Kansas State University.

Qualifications

Required

• Bachelor’s degree
  • Previous experience with student media, preferably with a yearbook
  • Thorough understanding of creating and managing web sites

Desired

• Master’s degree; knowledge of digital, mobile, tablet and app development.
  • Experience with advising or teaching students.
  • Familiarity with budgeting and Macs.

Send a cover letter outlining your qualifications and explaining why you are the right person to lead our publication staffs, along with a resume and contact information for three references, to:

Director
Collegian Media Group
103 Kedzie Hall
Manhattan KS 66506-1505

Or by email to: jobs@collegianmedia.com.

Review of applications will begin Friday, March 31, and continue until the job is filled.