Download the 2014 Flint Hills Publications Workshop Registration Guide (PDF) today to learn more.

At the Flint Hills Publications Workshop, July 20-22, 2014, you’ll be amazed at how much you can improve writing skills, master software, learn leadership and time management techniques and find a fresh, new look for your publications.

The best part is that you’ll meet other students who, like you, want their publications to be the best the school has ever seen.

You’ll have fun, socialize and create some amazing student media products.
You’ll work with award-winning journalism educators, college journalism students and professional journalists.

Our program is broad, but you’ll find it to be exactly what you want and everything you need.

Sequences

Get training geared directly to your experience level and area of interest by joining one of the following instruction tracks:

Advanced Redesign — This intense design seminar is split into two tracks — newspaper and yearbook — and will include instruction on advanced design trends and computer program tricks and tips. Those applying for these sections should have a basic understanding of column or grid design and a working knowledge of InDesign. Instructors: Amy DeVault, Wichita State University; Lindsey Glasscock, Manhattan, Kan.

Advanced Writing — Designed for the advanced, serious journalism student, this session is not for the tender hearted. Students will experience a rigorous session of information gathering and writing. Instructor: Barbara Tholen, Lawrence High School

Editorial Leadership — Limited to yearbook or newspaper editors, sessions cover leadership skills, staff organization, morale and motivation. Those enrolled in these sessions should have compiled the beginning of a staff manual, a production schedule, a list of story ideas, an editorial policy and job descriptions. Instructor: Travis Feil, Jostens

Photojournalism — You will improve your photography skills by shooting under various conditions and preparing photos for publication. Instructional focus is on the digital process, and a digital camera is required for students who wish to participate in this track. Instructor: Cary Conover, Andover High School

Advising — Advisers will share and develop ideas on teaching, promoting publications, marketing, law, ethics, grading and motivating students. Handouts, worksheets, style guides, skills tests from instructors and other participants make this session invaluable. This track is appropriate for both beginning and veteran advisers. Instructor: Kelly Furnas, Kansas State University

Cost

The early registration fee for the Flint Hills Publications Workshop is $299, which includes your meals, housing, recreation and workshop materials. The normal registration fee (those postmarked June 12 – July 3) is $350.

Housing

All students enrolled in the workshop will be housed in the Holiday Inn adjacent to K-State’s campus (quad occupancy). You can request roommates of the same sex on the registration form. If you register without a roommate request, one will be assigned to you by workshop staff. (When we assign roommates, we keep same-sex students, preferably from the same school, enrolled in the same track, and/or from the same grade together.) All rooms feature two queen-size beds.

Social Activities

While you should come to the Flint Hills Publications Workshop ready to work hard, you should also be ready to have lots of fun. We’ve planned recreational and team-building activities to ensure that you keep a fresh mind and enthusiastic attitude throughout the workshop.